Upon entering the artists’ lounge inside Atlantic Records, Donnis erupts into a sea of laughter. The Atlanta rapper and his crew had an interesting conversation about Tyler Perry and his films. The chuckles came as a result of thinking Perry himself had conveniently walked into the room. Dressed in a crisp hat, black puffer vest, maroon button-down, and hard denim, it’s safe to say Donnis has a sense of humor. Even during his photo shoot, he’s a jester, stretching his hands apart as if he is ready to take flight.
The budding wordsmith already has a foot off the ground. While stationed in Tokyo during his time with the U.S. Air Force, Donnis found the real love of his life: music. After three mixtapes, his debut single “Gone,” and its follow-up “Tonight,” he’s prepared Fashionably Late—the abridged version of a mixtape of the same name that he released in June. The five-track EP bears production from Needlz, Count Justice, T-Minus, and also includes a collaboration with soulful singer Priscilla Renea.
Rap-Up.com catches Donnis in a rather jovial mood as he reveals his shock in performing on the same stage as Lauryn Hill, what 21-plus activity he’d like to engage in with President Obama, and the cartoons he looks forward to watching in the coming months.
1. If you were to style your own photo shoot, what would you wear?
2. You’re opening up for Lauryn Hill at the University of Miami on November 5. How does that feel?
3. Finish this sentence: I’m leaving this wack party because…
4. What is the best determination or test to see if a person can really rap?
5. You spent some time in the Air Force stationed in Tokyo. What Japanese acts do you follow?
6. What TV shows are you excited about this fall?
7. If you could sit down and have a conversation with anyone in the world, who would it be?
8. What is one thing that you are absolutely sure of?
9. Is there any advice that saved you from a pitfall?
10. What is something that sparks your interest that others may not know about you?
Donnis’ Fashionably Late EP is available now on iTunes. He will embark on a tour with dance-punk duo Matt & Kim starting in October.
Words by Tanya Remekie | Photos by Gavin Thomas for Rap-UpTweet
Leave a Reply
©Copyright 2013 Rap-Up.com. Rap-Up® is a registered trademark. All rights reserved. VPS hosting by (mt)
Rap-Up is a member of SPIN Music Group, a division of BUZZMEDIA.