The press shy Frank Ocean granted Hot 97 host Angie Martinez an exclusive interview on his home turf of Los Angeles. The Odd Future singer-songwriter, who carries a medical marijuana card, spoke about his notorious crew including ringleader Tyler, the Creator, battling nerves while working with Jay-Z on Watch the Throne, and when his album will drop. Listen to what the man of mystery had to say.
• On Odd Future: “That’s family. It’s a crew, but it’s not like a boy band where we’re like this cohesive thing that moves and does everything together. We’re like a crew of a bunch of different artists who create their own thing and their own wave.”
• On Tyler, the Creator’s antics: “I definitely won’t go on the record and say that I latch on to every beef or confrontation or scuffle that Tyler gets into, maybe in the streets, but not in the matrix or the Internet. I can’t keep up with that. The commentary, all of this bullshit is just…”
• On joining Jay-Z and Kanye West on the “Watch the Throne” tour: “I’d love to. I think that’s all I’m gonna say about that.”
• On working on Throne: “I rarely do collabs, so that’s just one of the ones you absolutely do. It’s like a no-brainer. I didn’t really think about any of it. The last thing on my mind was working with artists who I’ve held in high esteem for years.”
• On recording with Jay-Z: “The first seven minutes or so of working with Jay was—I won’t even say it was seven minutes—but it’s like the initial walk-in, sit down, put your bag down, and he wasn’t saying anything, and I was nervous, as soon as we started talking [it was fine]. He’s super cool. I think he was just tryna make me nervous, make me sweat. It seemed a little intentional.”
• On when he first met Kanye West: “I worked with Jay on his solo album before I did the Watch the Throne sessions. The second time I went it was Barry Weiss, Jay, Beyoncé, Kanye, couple other people, it was a pretty heavy room.”
• On when his album is dropping: “I have no idea. I just want to make sure the next thing is right and I don’t want to go on the record and say that it’s coming out on some phantom date that never appears.”
[...] display of wealth at a time when most of the country is dealing with the hardships of a …Frank Ocean Talks Odd Future, Jay-Z, & 'Watch the Throne' TourFrank Ocean Speaks On Collaborations With Jay-Z & Kanye WestJay-Z & Kanye West's [...]
I’m Chris Brown fan too but why do every freakin post on this site have to have a “who is the best in this genre” thing? It’s lame. Listen to what you like instead of complainin.
I might check out this guy’s album when it drops, cool thing he isn’t setting a date that would later dissappear for no reason like it happens alot nowdays.
love this interview. though short, it provides much more insight into who frank ocean is. he’s super chill, which i love. that effortless cool is completely translated through his music. can’t wait for more music.
F*** Drake, F*** Trey Songz, F*** Lil Wayne. They didn’t come out with anything that was amazing. They’re just mainstream garbage artists that deserve no fame, but unfortunately it attracts the newer generation. And fortunately, there’s people out here that listen/support True artists, to true lyrics and feelings, and real good music. Frank Ocean’s music is something you will never forget.