The cause of Amy Winehouse’s death has been revealed. According to a coroner’s report, the soul singer died with lethal amounts of alcohol in her blood—more than five times the British drunk-driving limit.
Coroner Suzanne Greenaway gave a verdict of “death by misadventure,” saying Winehouse died of accidental alcohol poisoning after she resumed drinking following weeks of abstinence.
“The unintended consequence of such potentially fatal levels [of alcohol] was her sudden and unexpected death,” Greenaway said.
Police Detective Inspector Les Newman, who was called to Winehouse’s London home in July, said empty vodka bottles were found around her bedroom.
The “Rehab” singer had started drinking again in the days before her death, according to her doctor, Christina Romete. She was “tipsy but calm” the night before her death and had not spoken of suicide.
Romete had prescribed drugs including the sedative Librium to help Winehouse cope with the symptoms of alcohol withdrawal, but the coroner said these did not cause her death.
Winehouse’s family was relieved to finally find out what happened to the 27-year-old. “The court heard that Amy was battling hard to conquer her problems with alcohol and it is a source of great pain to us that she could not win in time,” stated Winehouse family spokesman Chris Goodman.Tweet
Leave a Reply
MOST READ STORIES OF THE WEEK
©Copyright 2013 Rap-Up.com. Rap-Up® is a registered trademark. All rights reserved. VPS hosting by (mt)
Rap-Up is a member of SPIN Music Group, a division of BUZZMEDIA.