Jarvis has been finding a home on radio and the “106 & Park” countdown with his sultry single “Make a Little Room.” But what’s occupying space on his iPod? We asked the R&B star, who hails from Tulsa, Oklahoma, to share 10 songs that have him pressing play over and over. From Swedish House Mafia’s “Don’t You Worry Child” to Kendrick Lamar’s “Bitch, Don’t Kill My Vibe,” Jarvis shared his eclectic playlist.
The 23-year-old, who was previously signed to Jermaine Dupri’s So So Def label, is currently putting the finishing touches on his debut Cardiology, due this year on Capitol Records.
In September, he dropped his mixtape Heartache featuring collaborations with DJ Khaled, Waka Flocka Flame, and Lil Scrappy.
Learn more about Jarvis through his musical selections.
1. “Poetic Justice” – Kendrick Lamar feat. Drake I really love the [Janet Jackson] sample on this record, it’s dope. Kendrick’s flow is dope and I feel what he’s doing for hip-hop.
2. “Bitch, Don’t Kill My Vibe (Remix)” – Kendrick Lamar feat. Jay-Z I like this! The verse that Jay put on was crazy! Then Kendrick redid his verses and it sounded 100x better. I love his cockiness on this record.
3. “Adorn” – Miguel Overall a great R&B record. I love the sound he’s created for himself—it’s a smash record—and I love to see artists making timeless music like that.
4. “Sex Never Felt Better” – TGT With Tank being one of my favorite artists and him teaming up with Tyrese and Ginuwine, it’s an incredible trio. Great vocalists and it embodies the true feeling of R&B.
5. “Fumble” – Trey Songz I love this one. I love the perspective of the record. Trey is saying he fumbled her heart… She gave him everything and like a bad running back he fumbled, and admitted that it was his fault.
6. “Don’t You Worry Child” – Swedish House Mafia I love this record too. I’m a new fan of the EDM movement and this is actually a great record on top of all of the musical elements of it. It’s a dope twist to have all of those elements in this type of record.
7. “Suit & Tie” – Justin Timberlake feat. Jay-Z I’m a huge J.T. fan, and I really love how he reinvents himself. It’s new and fresh and the album is incredible as well.
8. “Started From the Bottom” – Drake It’s real hip-hop. He’s a great lyricist and knows how to switch it up. He knows how to do big records but then goes back to his roots and does a true hip-hop record and this record touches on where he came from. It’s inspirational.
9. “Love Me” – Lil Wayne feat. Drake and Future That’s just the ultimate swag record! The feel and vibe is so amazing and puts you in that mood that you just feel like they are the men. It gives you a dope feeling.
10. “Loveeeeeee Song” – Rihanna feat. Future Love this record. I love her delivery on it. A lot of times she does pop, but on this one she really became intimate, a real R&B vocal. She’s winning right now with it.