Take two! One year after a blunder-filled “New Year’s Rockin’ Eve” performance, Mariah Carey is set to return to the annual celebration.
MC made the announcement on Twitter. “Take 2,” she tweeted. “#RockinEve #NYE.”
In a joint statement, Carey and the show announced their reconciliation and plans to make things right with this year’s event. “We can all agree that last year didn’t go exactly as planned and we are thrilled to move forward together to provide America with an incredible night of music and celebration on ‘Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve with Ryan Seacrest 2018′,” they told The Associated Press. “See you in Times Square!”
— Mariah Carey (@MariahCarey) December 22, 2017
Last year, Carey’s botched performance included technical glitches and an onstage outburst. “We didn’t have a [sound]check for this song, so we’ll just say, it went to No. 1,” she said at one point. “That’s what it is…We’re missing some of this vocal but it is what it is.” Later, she added: “I want a holiday too. Can I not have one? I’m trying to be a good sport here.”
After the debacle, Carey fired her creative director and blamed “New Year’s Rockin’ Eve.” “They foiled me,” she said. “Thus, it turned into an opportunity to humiliate me and all those who were excited to ring in the new year with me. Eventually, I will explain this in greater detail for anyone who cares to hear.”
Since then, Carey has reportedly parted ways with manager Stella Bulochnikov and signed with Roc Nation. “Previously, there were all kinds of people involved [in her career] and Mariah didn’t even know those people,” an insider revealed. “She had to distance herself from all that and she’s now cleaning house.”
Live from Times Square, Mariah will join the “New York’s Rockin’ Eve” bill, which also includes Camila Cabello, Nick Jonas, and Sugarland. The show airs Dec. 31 on ABC.