Travis Scott is responding to one of the hundreds of lawsuits filed against him in the wake of the Astroworld tragedy.
The rapper has asked a judge to dismiss a suit filed against him by a man named Jessie Garcia, who alleges he was in the crowd at the Nov. 5 Houston festival. In legal documents, obtained by TMZ, Travis requests that the suit be dismissed with prejudice as it pertains to himself, his company (Jack Enterprises), and his foundation/label (Cactus Jack).
Travis has issued a “general denial,” which allows him to issue one blanket response to all the allegations against them. He is denying responsibility for the deaths and injuries, and is asking the judge to throw out the suit against him and his entities.
He is also reportedly planning to issue a similar response for the other civil suits filed against him, which could be combined into one giant case. Attorneys for both victims and festival organizers filed a joint petition last week seeking to consolidate the nearly 300 cases into a multi-district litigation before a single judge. The court has yet to rule.
As of Friday, 275 lawsuits have been filed with more than 1,250 plaintiffs. The lawsuits accuse Live Nation, Travis, and other festival organizers of gross negligence in how they planned and conducted Astroworld, and are seeking billions in damages.
Prior to this, Travis said he was unaware of what was going on while he was on stage. “Any time I could make out, you know, anything that’s going on, you know, I just stop my show and, you know, helped them get the help they need,” he said in a video following the tragedy. “I could just never imagine the severity of the situation.”