Lil Wayne can enjoy his freedom for a few more weeks. The hip-hop star’s sentencing for gun possession has been postponed due to dental surgery.
The 27-year-old rapper, born Dwayne Carter Jr., arrived at New York State Supreme Court on Tuesday (Feb. 9) to face his one-year sentence on attempted gun possession. He was expected to start serving his time today, but the sentencing was delayed until March 2 because he needs time to recover from a dental operation, his lawyer Stacey Richman told the court.
Manhattan state Supreme Court Justice Charles Solomon said the sentencing would not be put off again. “I don’t want this to get pushed back anymore,” stated Solomon. “This is the last adjournment.”
Lil Wayne wore a blue bomber jacket and beanie as he entered the courthouse, joined by Cash Money executives Birdman and Slim. Young Money affiliate Mack Maine was also present and tweeted the news to Weezy’s fans. “Extension till march 2nd!!!!! Thanx for da prayers LOVE y’all…and Wayne said thanx for da prayers too..ym!!!”
Wayne is scheduled to return to Miami to undergo dental surgery Friday and will need 10 days to recover. “It is a medical situation that, like [for] any of us, has to be addressed,” his attorney remarked outside the court. The procedure had been planned prior to Tuesday, but was postponed because his dentist was out of the country.
In a Ustream video recorded before the adjournment, Wayne bid farewell to his fans. “To all my fans, my real fans, I really, really, really truly love you. Thank you from the bottom [of my heart],” he said.
Leave a Reply
MOST READ STORIES OF THE WEEK
©Copyright 2014 Rap-Up.com. Rap-Up® is a registered trademark. All rights reserved.
A Member of Townsquare Music | Advertise