Dawn Richard has been bitten by the acting bug. Fresh off her reunion with Danity Kane at Sunday’s VMAs, the singer is making the leap from the mic to the big screen in her first feature film role.
Richard will star in the upcoming musical K. Hebron’s Gospel Soul Rock & Roll, which is set for release in 2014.
“It’s kind of like a gospel musical and I’m really excited about it because I was really picky about what I would choose to do,” Richard tells Rap-Up.com. “With acting I’m more skeptical about it, but I loved it because the role was not me. And I want something that isn’t me. I think you guys will be pleased with the outcome.”
She is also foraying into fashion by teaming up with vintage hipster brand Coal N Terry on her own lined called Lion Ambition, which will launch in September. “I’m doing a collaboration with a really great brand that I’ve been messing with,” she reveals. “I always try to tie my fashion into my music, so I have something really great.”
But music remains her first priority. Her Blackheart singles “Judith” and “Valkyrie” are now available on iTunes, and she has reunited with Danity Kane for a new album. The group’s first single in five years, “Rage,” was produced by the Stereotypes.
Check out our Pop Quiz, where Richard reveals what’s on her iPod and gives us a very instinctual reaction to drunk driving.
1. First album you bought? The Cranberries’ No Need to Argue
2. First concert you attended? Green Day’s “Insomniac Tour”
3. Five songs on your iPod right now? BjÃ¶rk’s “Hyperballad,” The Dead Weather’s “Hustle and Cuss,” Coldplay’s “Yellow,” Jay Z’s “F*ckWithMeYouKnowIGotIt,” and Dawn Richard’s “Calypso”
4. Drunk driving? The ignorant choice
5. Best advice you’ve ever received? Find out who you are and do it on purpose.
On behalf of our sponsor, the National Highway Traffic Association, please avoid the ignorant choice to drive drunk. Plan a safe way home before you start the Labor Day festivities and have a safe holiday.