Tyler, the Creator is known for being outrageous in his interviews, but he got somewhat serious during his sit-down with Larry King. With his feet on the desk, the Odd Future rapper-designer-producer-director discussed everything from his celebrity crush to his spirit animals.
Plus, the “Loiter Squad” star made it clear that he wants to be known as more than a rapper and revealed the best advice he’s received.
Here are 10 things we learned from Tyler’s interview.
1. He doesn’t want to be known as a rapper.
“I want people to mention my name next to Wes Anderson and Quentin Tarantino. I don’t want my name to be mentioned next to other rappers at all.”
2. He was an outcast in high school.
“I changed schools every year. I didn’t have many friends, like close friends. I was always the odd one out. I was the class clown. I’m pretty much the same, shorter. I got taller.”
3. His celebrity crush is Jennifer Lawrence.
“I love Jennifer Lawrence. If you’re watching this, leave the ni**a you with.”
4. His idols include…
Dave Chappelle, Eminem, Pharrell, Roy Ayers, and Wes Anderson.
5. At 40 years old, he wants to be married with a kid and “rich as fuck.”
“A couple of films under my belt, a bunch of furniture, a couple buildings, skate parks around the world.”
6. He doesn’t like social media and uses Instagram and Twitter sparingly.
“I hate Snapchat. I hate all that shit. It’s making kids so stupid.”
7. Fake people and frogs bother him.
“I hate frogs and pretentious people. I hate people who are not comfortable with themselves. That scares me.”
8. The best piece of advice he received was from Pharrell.
“He was like, ‘Dude, just fucking go. Just be.'”
9. He has four spirit animals.
“I’m a squirrel, I’m a whale, I’m a goat, and I’m a dragon.”
10. If he was on a desert island, he would bring three things.
“I need my inhaler, syrup, and legit iPod.”
Watch the full 27-minute interview below.