Common is gearing up to release his first album in three years, Let Love, next month.
After dropping the Daniel Caesar collaboration “HER Love,” the Chicago MC delivers his latest single “Hercules.” Over backing vocals from Swizz Beatz, who also produced the track, Common shines as he shows off his witty wordplay.
In the video, directed by Carrick, Common thwarts a convenience store robbery caught on surveillance camera. In between rapping into his iPhone, he saves the day, disarming the thieves before casually walking off. Vince Staples makes a cameo as the cashier.
Common’s album Let Love arrives Aug. 30 featuring appearances from Jill Scott, Leikeli47, BJ the Chicago Kid, A-Trak, Leon Bridges, and more.
“This album is inspired by the book, Let Love Have the Last Word which gave me a path to write about things I had never written about before,” said Common. “It forced me to go deeper and because I opened up about so many things in the book, I was charged to go to raw, personal and spiritual places in the music. Production-wise, I knew that the music had to have depth, soul and dimension to it. I wanted the musicianship and the spirit of what live music brings, but it also had to have something raw and basement about it.”
Common will kick off his “Let Love Tour” in Denver tonight with special guest Nicole Bus. The North American trek continues throughout July and August before traveling to Europe in September.
Let Love Tracklisting
1. “Good Morning Love” feat. Samora Pinderhughes
2. “HER Love” feat. Daniel Caesar w/special guest Dwele
3. “Dwele’s Interlude”
4. “Hercules” feat. Swizz Beatz
5. “Fifth Story” feat. Leikeli47
6. “Forever Your Love” feat. BJ The Chicago Kid
7. “Leaders (Crib Love)” feat. A-Trak
8. “Memories of Home” feat. BJ The Chicago Kid and Samora Pinderhughes
9. “Show Me That You Love” feat. Jill Scott and Samora Pinderhughes
10. “My Fancy Free Future Love”
11. “God Is Love” feat. Leon Bridges and Jonathan McReynolds